- Jessica ChastainShe could be definitely THE breakthrough actress of the year considering she has at least 7 releases this year ( The Debt, Take Shelter, Coriolanus, The Tree of Life, The Help, Wilde Salome, The Fields and maybe even The Wettest County in the World), the question is, could she get serious recognition for any of these roles ? For now, The Tree of Life seems to be her best shot at awards, even though Wilde Salome, Coriolanus and Take Shelter could surprise, as well.
- Elizabeth OlsenExcellent early word, but the buzz might have started too soon and the film could be too indie in the end, as well. She is bound to receive good to great reviews once the film is released, we'll see how far that will take her...will she be 'a Cornish' or 'a Lawrence' ?
- Mia WasikowskaRestless seems weak at the moment, but Jane Eyre has everything a Best Actress contender could ask for : rave reviews, decent arthouse-business, Academy-friendly genre and source material. So if Focus realizes that this film could be a strong player with a decent campaign, Wasikowska could easily become this year's newcomer in the Best Actress race.
- Emma StoneIt could be a prettywomanesque nomination considering she is officially the next big thing : after last year's surprise hit and GG-nod, she has two potential summer BO-hits this year + an Oscary besteller adaptation + Spiderman-reboot next year. She faces serious internal competition and she could be overshadowed easily considering her brilliant co-stars, but still, she could get in...although good to great reviews and a better-than-expected Box Office-run would definitely help, especially considering the summer release date.
- Kaya ScodelarioIt's a weird, year-old hunch, but for some reason I think she and her film will be big with the Academy : the Venice-premiere, the late release date, the source material, the brilliant yet underrated female director, the British-factor all scream Oscar to me . She could be definitely THE surprise of the season.
- Michelle WilliamsThird time the charm ? The iconic role + Weinstein combo sounds rather convincing, that's for sure.
- Keira KnightleyShe has been remarkably consistent in recent years, received a well-deserved nomination for Pride and Prejudice and then she had been ignored for stunning turns in films like Atonement, The Duchess and Never let me go. Although Cronenberg rarely does it for the Academy, her role in A Dangerous Method definitely sounds baity enough.
- Anne HathawayCould Lone Scherfig strike again in the Best Actress category ? Hathaway is talented AND a previous nominee, playing a beloved character but she HAS TO pull off the accent...so the question remains...did she ?
- Carey MulliganI think there is a good chance she will be a contender this year but not in the lead category, both her roles this year (Drive, Shame) sound like supporting turns to me. I have a feeling she will shine in Shame...Venice will tell.
- Saoirse RonanShe received rave reviews and is already considered one of the best of her generation. Last year the Academy didn't forget a badass teenage girl character despite the film's early release date...so Ronan might get an Oscar-push, too. She will definitely need the critics groups.